Holding Pattern

The waiting is the worst part.

I know its the “calm before the storm” and all that and we should just enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts, but patience is not a virtue I posses in spades. There’s nothing to do!!

Some time in the next minute to 5 weeks Nic’s going to go into labour. Worst case scenario, its the end of the work day and its rush hour. Here’s how that would look:

  • I drive north for 8 exits, typically a 17 minute drive, but at rush hour between 25 and 45, depending on whether or not there’s any radar traps or pointless one-car accidents
  • I pick up Nic and Ben; we drive north 3 more exits and drop Ben off with Jason and Brooke
  • We turn around and drive 9 exits south on one highway, 2 exits on another highway and 7 exits on a third highway to Albany med…

Total time? Optimistically, we’re looking at 2 hours. I’m not really sure if thats going to cut it, but that’s worst case scenario. Best case we could probably do everything in 1 hour.
As much as we appreciate Brooke and Jason taking our kid, and as much as I enjoy my job, maybe you can see why we’re feeling like we need to be near our family during this season in our lives?

So we’re ready for best- or worst-case scenarios, we’re packed, we have the new stroller (and sold the old one) and the tiny new-born diapers. Now we just need her to arrive. Our preferred date would be March 8th, which would allow us one final date night on Friday (with free babysitting, thanks to Brooke’s mom!) and would mean that I’ll be at home when things start happening. I’m doing my best to beam this information to Abi telepathically, but I’m not sure if she’s getting the message. I guess we’ll find out…

These are our friends, Jason and Brooke, without whom we would probably be doing a home birth… and although that worked out great for Brian and Melissa, its not something we want to try in our tiny apartment with the nearest hospital 25 minutes away! Thank you guys!