In case you ever find yourself working in an environment where everyone around you is 10 years, or more, older than you and shares nothing in common with you beyond the objectives of your employer, here’s some ideas I’ve found to keep from going insane on my mandated 1 hour lunch.
- Watch stand-up comedy on YouTube. Sure I sound a little weird laughing by myself in my cubicle, but there’s some funny stuff out there, and my hour passes in no time.
- Go to the Apple Store. After awhile, there’s really nothing new to discover in the store, but I just feel cooler after being in such a techno-trendy environment for a little while. Plus free and un-filtered Internet means I can do some chatting or catch up on BoingBoing.
- Take a nap! I have the amazing ability to set my internal clock for whatever time I want to wake up. I can lean back in my car, and say “I’m going to take a 15 minute nap.” And I’ll wake up in almost exactly 15 minutes, without fail. More and more research is coming out about the value of a power nap, and I support this science completely!
- Go to Panera and sit by the fireplace. If you get there before the rush, you can pick your seat. I like the two chairs right in front of the fire. They have free WiFi, so I can chill out and read some news while I eat.
- Blog. There’s always something to blog about, and even if no one else finds it interesting, I can imagine people out there as bored at lunch time as I am are desperate to find something to read.
- Take a walk. The area surrounding my office is pretty nice, so if it’s not too cold out, I like to take a stroll around the building. I find I’m more productive in the afternoon if I’ve gotten some fresh air too.
Anyone else got any suggestions?